Pages

Thursday 27 February 2014

Thursday resolutions

Two sobering things have occurred to me this morning, both of which will hopefully improve this blog.

1. I am not Duncan Green. Perhaps obvious but important anyway. So given that I'm not an experienced Oxfam strategic advisor, author of the influential development book From Poverty to Power, I can stop trying to match him and other bloggers I follow for originality and analytical insight. I can be happy continuing to stab blindly in the dark at assorted issues vaguely relevant to development. More honesty and less coherence.

2. If I were to read my own writing but written by someone else, it would sometimes piss me off. There's nothing worse than a young person spewing out self-involved verbal diarrhoea. Just read a few articles on Thought Catalog and you'll get the point. So despite my best instincts (I love words) I'm going to try to unlearn the verbose rhetorical tendencies (witness the previous phrase) drilled into me at school.

Now that's over with, hopefully an actual post will appear sometime soon on food and the poor, the crappiness of (some) NGOs or why we need to rethink how we do education, depending on which semi-started draft I choose to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment